Financial Aid

At MVCTC, our counselors will work with you to help you get where you want to go

Financial aid assistance, including grants and loans, may be available towards Career Programs for students that qualify. The financial aid process is very individualized. It is the student’s responsibility to file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and receive the SAR (Student Aid Report). The school cannot determine an award without this information.

To begin the process, please complete the following instructions:

  1. Visit and click on the “Create Account” link. This will show you how to create an Account (FSA ID). The FSA ID will allow you to electronically sign your FAFSA and complete student loan requirements
  2. Complete a FAFSA at
    1. Please choose Miami Valley Career Technology Center as your school
    2. MVCTC federal school code is 015980
  3.  Once your application has been processed, you will receive a SAR via the email address you provided. Review SAR for accuracy
  4. Visit and complete the following steps:
    1. Have your FSA ID/Password available
    2. Click here to complete the Entrance Loan Counseling session (if requested by the Financial Aid Office)
    3. Click here to complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN)
  5. Contact the MVCTC Adult Education Office at 937-854-6297 to schedule an appointment with our Financial Aid Coordinator

Student Eligibility -

Financial aid is available, but there are qualifications. To receive aid from any of the federal student aid programs, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Successful completion of the three-part entrance exam (WorkKeys)
  • Demonstrate financial need, except for some loan programs
  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Be enrolled as a regular student working toward a certificate in an eligible program
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by the school
  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money on a federal student grant
  • Not be incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution

If you have any questions about whether or not you’re eligible for financial aid, we urge you to contact our Financial Aid Advisor.

Stafford Loans-

The Subsidized Stafford Loan program is a federal program based on need, but repayment is required. Repayment begins six months after you leave school. The maximum amount is $3,500 for both independent and dependent students.

The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan program is not need-based and repayment is required. Payments begin six months after you leave school. The maximum amount is $9,500 less any subsidized money for independent students and $5,500 less any subsidized money for dependent students. 

Please follow the step-by-step instructions below to apply for Federal Stafford Loan:
  1. To start the process you will need to have your FSA ID. The next step is to complete Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling at
  2. Please follow the prompts on the screen to complete the loan counseling session.
  3. Next, you will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will select the MPN for “subsidized/unsubsidized.”
    • Please allow 30-40 minutes to complete.
    • The MPN and Entrance Counseling must be completed in one session. If you fail to complete the online application in one session, entered data will be wiped clean and you will be required to start again from the beginning.
    • You will provide reference information for two people you have known for at least 3 years. These people are not obligated to the loan. You will need their complete addresses and phone numbers.
  4. Once you complete the MPN and all other financial aid paperwork has been reviewed by the Financial Aid office, your loan will be certified.
  5. Exit counseling sessions must be completed at the time of graduation, or when a student withdraws from school. A hold will be placed on the school records of those who fail to attend an exit counseling session at the appropriate time.

Federal Plus Loan -

The Federal Plus Loan program is available only to parents of dependent students. It is not need-based, but the parent’s credit-worthiness affects the outcome. Interest rates are currently at 6.28%. Repayment may begin while the student is still in school. The maximum amount available to borrow may not exceed the total cost of attendance less any other aid to be received.

Applying for Federal PLUS – (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)

Parents of dependent students apply online in a two-step process. The brief online application determines credit-worthiness. An immediate decision is given. Once approved, the Master Promissory Note (MPN) must also be completed. When the student’s financial aid file is complete, the school will originate the Parent Loan and schedule the disbursements.

Both the application and MPN are completed at The parent must sign in with their own FSA ID, not the student's FSA ID.

Please note: If a parent is denied a Parent Loan, the dependent student is considered independent for loan purposes and eligible to borrow the same maximum amount as an independent student.

Veterans Benefits-

For any questions regarding your eligibility for Veterans benefits, you may call the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551 or visit their website.

Additional Financial Aid Sources - 

Financial Aid may be available from the following sources for both full-time programs and short-term classes:

  • Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR) - Financial aid may be available from this local agency for students with physical, mental or emotional disabilities that present a handicap to employment. Partial to total aid may be available to cover tuition, books, and supplies. Contact your local Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation office or an MVCTC counselor at 937-854-6259.
  • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) - Financial Aid may be available from this program for students who qualify. Partial to total aid may be available to cover tuition, books, and supplies. Students must contact the WIOA agency in their county of residence to see whether they qualify.
  • Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) - Assistance may be available for students who have lost jobs or had hours and wages reduced because of foreign trade. Contact your employer or a local Ohio Bureau of Employment Services office to determine whether you may be affected.

Helpful Links

Last Edited: 09/21/2022