“It is truly wonderful to see the level at which the students perform after completing our program, especially when compared to the work they produced when they first arrived at MVCTC. It is often, nothing less than amazing!”
- Mrs. Hetzer & Mr. Spitler
- Develop a professional portfolio
- College opportunities for our students are endless, with some college faculty and administration specifically seeking out MVCTC graduates
- Potential to earn college credits and a Tech Prep Scholarship from Sinclair Community College
- Potential to earn college credit from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- Through SkillsUSA opportunities students have gained leadership skills and ranked top in state and national competitions
- Study graphic design and illustration integrating photography
- Learn to use computer graphics software such as, Adobe - InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
In the Graphic Commercial Art program at MVCTC, students are exposed to a balance of hands-on, fundamental art and design training, coupled with extensive training of graphic computer programs used by designers in today's graphic industry. State-of-the-art Mac computer systems and up-to-date graphics software, are just a part of what helps to create an environment where students excel as young artists and designers.
Sketching is an important aspect of the class, as students are introduced to a variety of drawing and rendering techniques, throughout both the junior and senior year. Many projects build on studies of the elements and principles of design, especially with the introduction to the Adobe Creative Suite, where students will create poster designs, magazine articles, advertisements, book covers, magazine covers, and much more. Students will be introduced to logo design using the popular Adobe programs: Photoshop and Illustrator, as they manipulate images, giving them that graphic flair needed to catch one's eye and leave that lasting impression. Color theory and color media illustration, are just a few other areas students will be exposed to in this program. Senior year students get experience working on client-based projects giving them the opportunity to work with area businesses and clubs.
Upon completion of the program, many of our students go on to attend a two or four year art college. A Graphic Commercial Art student from MVCTC exits the program with a portfolio of their best work, giving them an edge over a student from a traditional high school, seeking acceptance to some of those same colleges. Based on these portfolios, our students have a reputation for receiving some of the largest scholarships awarded from many post-secondary art schools.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
This shows the % of job growth expected in these careers through the year 2020. To learn more about these careers, click on the names below.
Based on the most recent Ohio State Report Card Data for this MVCTC Career Technical Program
- 98% of students were working, in college, or the military one-year after completing this program
Click here for more program pictures
Click here to download the program brochure
For more information on this career field, check out the links below:Graphic Design Careers