“The Health Careers Academy Tech Prep program will prepare students for entry-level jobs and will act as a stepping-stone to further careers in other health care related fields.”
- Mrs. Deeter, Mrs. Wathen & Mrs. Wiltshire
- Obtain entry-level skills to be able to work in a doctor's office
- Potential to earn college credits from Sinclair Community College and Clark State Community College
- Gain hands-on experience performing medical laboratory tests and have the opportunity to take a national phlebotomy certification exam
- Obtain entry-level skills to be able to work in a pharmacy
- Opportunity to complete the Nurse Aide Training Program (NATP) and take the state exam to become a State Tested Nurse Aide
Throughout the two-year program, students have the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in many health related areas. Students gain knowledge in areas such as anatomy & physiology, medical terminology, medical math, legal and ethical issues, safety, body mechanics, human growth and development, and nutrition. During hands-on practice, students learn patient-care skills such as vital signs, administering medications, hearing and vision tests, performing EKG's, drawing blood, performing laboratory tests, personal care, and ambulating patients. The program operates in simulated work environments to develop a person's work ethics, professionalism, and employability skills.
After graduation, students may gain employment as a Nurse Aide in a long-term care facility, become a home health aide, a patient care technician, a phlebotomist, clinical laboratory assistant, or a medical assistant. Students may also choose to further their education at a community college or four-year university.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
This shows the % of job growth expected in these careers through the year 2020. To learn more about these careers, click on the names below.
Industry Standard Certificates
- First Aid
- Fire Safety
Based on the most recent Ohio State Report Card Data for this MVCTC Career Technical Program
- 90% of students were working, in college, or the military one-year after completing this program
Click here for more program pictures
Click here to download the program brochure
For more information on this career field, check out the links below:46-CNN Money Best Jobs in America52-CNN Money Best Jobs in America70-CNN Money Best Jobs in AmericaOccupational Outlook Handbook - Medical Assistants 31% Job GrowthHealthcare Careers